Monday, January 26, 2015

Communication and Diversity

When communicating with others from diverse background I do communicate differently, especially if there is a language barrier. If I discovered that I will use more nonverbal communication gestures to convey the messages I want people to know. I want to make sure I am approachable so I smile and maintain eye contact. I make sure that I listen and watch closely for any nonverbal communication that may help me to understand the direction of the conversation to make sure that we both understand each other.

When communicate with children from diverse backgrounds I try to use visual clues as well as words if there is a language barrier. This is helpful for second language learners and gives them the ability to make visual connections to English words. For me I gain the ability to make personal connections and help build positive communication exchanges with the child. Sometimes that child will express the name of the object I am showing them in their native language, which I find very useful and I get to learn new words as well.

I found this video that I think does a great job of how ridiculous ineffective communication can be. Through it's comedic expression it makes us aware of how easy it is to fall in the trap of stereotypes and the importance of developing appropriate communications skills.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment