Saturday, July 5, 2014

Establishing Professional Contacts and Expanding Resources

In the field of education it is common for teachers to look to each other for advice or connect with them as an additional resource. Too often we get use to just looking within our inner circles for help or references but this limits us to the valuable information we can gain if we just step outside our comfort box and seek other educational professionals in other counties, states, and even other countries.

In the past week, I have been attempting to connect with another early childhood professional in Africa. I chose to connect with an early childhood professional from Africa because I have always been interested in the educational issues and trends in the early childhood field in Africa and wanted to learn more directly from someone impacted with this quest to educate young children in Africa. I have struggled this week with trying to find a way to connect with early education professionals or organizations that will help assist me in connecting with a professional educator in Africa.

I started this quest by talking to my inner circle of educators to see if I could find a lead on how to locate and connect with teacher abroad. I found that most of my early education professionals that were in my circle were as lost as I was and did not have a clue on how to connect with others in the field of early childhood in another country. Next, I sought two people that I knew were going to be teaching aboard this year but they had not left yet and had no prior experience teaching in that country. Finally, I went back to the references that were provided by our professor, Dr. Davenna Williams, I reviewed the websites and was in awe of the wealth of information each one provided. It opened my mind to various issues other face as they try and educate young children. This made me realize how important it was for me to build a relationships with others outside of my comfort zone. There is a wealth of information I can gain for building a connection with others who are passionate about the field of early childhood education. I was able to find a contact list including emails of some early childhood professional in Africa, I sent them an email asking if they could help me with my quest to connecting with early childhood professional in their country. I have not receive a response yet but I will continue to look for someone to connect with. I do believe that I will have to use the alternative website for part 1 but, hopefully, only temporary.

If I could share any advice, it would be to start with the resources that our professor provided first. It gave tons of useful information and is a great place to get you going in the right direction quickly. Second, in your email you can provide our professor email so that they can verify the assignment. This might ease any hesitation someone might have about the authenticity of your request. Lastly, leave the link to your blog so that they can see your pervious posts. This is a great way for them to get to know you and your passions.

Good luck on your journey. Please leave any suggestions, questions, or advice.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ly'chel,
    I hope that you are able to establish contact with someone in Africa. I am looking forward to interacting with someone, but still have not heard from anyone. However, on the World Forum, I have had several people from around the world 'friend me.' I have the option to private message them there and plan to try that. You might have luck through that site as well.

    ReplyDelete