Thursday, February 12, 2015

Adjourning

Forming a great team takes time and dedication as you go through all the five stages of team development and finally making to the last stage of adjourning can be bitter sweet for everyone involved (Abudi, 2010). During my first two years of teaching, I was partnered with the other kindergarten teacher and be immediately collaborated together. Our partnership formed quickly and we few past the stages of forming, storming, and norming. For a long time we operated under the performing stage effectively and accomplish many goals and tasks that were beneficial for the children we served (Abudi, 2010). Our mission became apparent to anyone who knew us as we operated as one. Each one of us having our own talents and skills we brought to the table; we where able to facilitate many successful initiatives. Time came when my partner and her husband decided to move back to their home town and our partnership ended. It was very difficult for me and I was really sad. We both knew that we would miss each and that a partnership like this does not come along everyday. 

One of things I wish we have done was to celebrate our accomplishments and took time to reflect on what really worked well and what we could improved on (Abudi, 2010). This would have helped us in our future partnerships. Since then I have a new kindergarten collaborative partner who is just as awesome as the first. Even though the relationship is different, we still went through the first three steps of the team development phase. We have established a sense of fun, our common goals, and unitize each other skills and talents. I feel that both groups that are high-performing and that have clear established norm are hard to leave. 

As I think about ending my time at Walden University, I know it will be difficult leaving my peers who have help guide me through this learning process. Each one of them has been helpful and supportive and provided me with necessary resources I needed to be successful. I hope that as we venture to the stage of adjournment we are able to celebrate our success and acknowledge that hard work and effort we have put into this cohort during commencement. Adjourning is important because it helps everyone transition and feel like their job was well done; it is a great way to bring closure to a collaborative team.


References

Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html

2 comments:

  1. Ly’chel,
    Your experience with your first teaching job sounds amazing! It is wonderful to have a bond like that, where you really work together well and enjoy each other’s company. I agree with you when you say that high-performing groups are hard to leave. I have been a part of a couple of dysfunctional groups that I was relieved to leave, but those that were successful were very bittersweet when the time came to adjourn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ly'chel,
    Sounds like you had a great team experience! Now that you have had that experience you will know the signs of a partnership where trust is not established. Having that experience and the resources from this course can help to create strong partnerships with future team members! Thanks for sharing, you two must have had a great time and I am sure the dynamic of the classroom was great!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete